With the Raspberry Pi microcomputer making waves all around the world, it’s not surprising that Hilscher has launched an industrialized version. Despite its modest beginnings the original Raspberry Pi has evolved into a world-beating product family with features such as Linux, Docker and Node-RED offering unprecedented openness, transparency and simplicity. Plant engineers and operators soon realized it could be used in automation. However, the standard Raspberry PI is not “industrialized.” It lacks real-time communications, is not hardened and, most importantly, does not have adequate security for critical plant use. Hilscher’s industrialized version changes all that by adding dual real-time ports, flexible I/O and IEC 62443-capable security. It can handle basic I/O yet it’s powerful enough for IIoT edge computing. It’s fully Raspberry Pi 3 compatible too. Read all about it in this new White Paper, available free for download HERE.
Here’s a short explanation of the key Industrialized Raspberry Pi features:
- Linux – one of the world’s best-loved open-source OSs
- Raspberry Pi – a powerful, well-proven microcomputer accepted by millions ranging from schools, hobbyists and home automation enthusiasts to automation professionals. It’s already being used in automated warehousing systems and greenhouse control. Even automotive plants are getting involved.
- Docker – a container-driven way of deploying applications fast while keeping them apart for better security. Containers can hold almost any software you want and literally thousands of free applications are available for download, including connections for six of the main cloud services providers. Legacy software can be containerized too.
- Node-RED – a simple “drag and drop” way to configure data flows. Hundreds of ready-to-use modules can be downloaded free … and easily modified.
- Security – Hilscher’s netX chip accompanies the standard Broadcom Raspberry Pi chip to deliver enhanced security along with real-time Ethernet. It also supports open communications that are easily changed to suit whatever protocol you or your customers choose.
- A truly holistic solution that’s open to all … maybe you already have a Raspberry Pi “expert” among your employees?
- Eliminates dependence on proprietary or third-party solutions; take control of your future!
- Dramatically reduces development and deployment; don’t keep re-inventing the wheel!
- Connects easily to the cloud; migrate steadily towards IIoT and Industry 4.0 applications.